12.17.2012

diy anthropologie mason jar snow globes

Don't you love "A Christmas Story"? I've been watching that as I do last minute packing/organizing/nail painting/eating of my favorite Linzer cookie. So great. "Oh my God I shot my eye out!" Just kidding. But I did manage to poke myself in the eye today. The irony, I tell ya. 



Anywho, I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet because it's 1 a.m. and I have to be up for my flight to NYC at 3 a.m. (yikes!) Clearly, I won't be getting much sleep, if any. Needless to say, I've been posting about these awesome little guys for a few days now, so I don't want to keep you in anticipation any longer!

***you will also need white-drying Gorilla Glue
***the little snowflakes & things of-the-like are optional

I was on Anthropologie picking out some things I'd like for Christmas when I came across these mason jar snow globes. I immediately fell in love, but like many things from Anthropologie, they were way too expensive for my budget. Especially when I realized within two minutes of looking at them that I could definitely make something very similar.

The trees inside Anthro's globe reminded me of the ones we used to buy for our lighted Christmas villages. They used to sell them at Walmart and Target years ago, but the only place I could find them this year was at Michael's Craft Store. They are slightly different than my old ones and maybe a little less well-made, but they still work great for this! (And have also been half off for the last week and a half! Score!) Oh, and don't forget to pick out a mason jar that will fit your tree :)


 I made these with my little brother last weekend (he was so excited and freaking LOVED it), but sadly the next morning when he rolled over to his left and shook it (yes people, he slept with it right next to him- that's how cool he thought it was! :')), the tree decided to take a swim. That's when I realized hot glue was probably not waterproof (it isn't,) and I opted for the Gorilla Glue which is 100% waterproof. It works great!! I've tested it by different drying times as well, & whether you let it dry 60 minutes as the directions say, or overnight, you will not wake up to floating trees!

The glue is really simple to use if you haven't tried it before. The catch with it though is that you have to clamp your two objects together while it's drying. I thought this would be a tough task with the shapes we're working with (versus two pieces of wood or something), but with a little thinking I figured out a way!


This was my set-up; chip clips! They worked wonderfully. The giant-sized binder clips also work well too! I used a medium-sized one just to keep it from falling.

















































How to assemble your snow globe:

1. Peel off any stickers on the bottom of the tree. Slightly wet the bottom of your tree & the center of the inside of the lid to the mason jar. (Gorilla  Glue needs water to adhere)

2. Spread a thin layer of gorilla glue on the bottom of the tree (I used a q-tip) and add a small dot of it to the inside of the lid.

3. Clamp the tree to the lid and let dry for at least 60 minutes.

4. Once dry, add water, glitter, and whatever else you please to the jar. Lastly, turn the tree upside down and place inside the jar. **Remember, when you place the tree in the jar it displaces some of the water, so be mindful when adding the water.

5. Press down on the lid (you may glue it if you'd like, but I didn't), then screw on the outer part of the lid tightly.

6. Turn the jar upside down, and you now have a snow globe!

I love how the glitter catches on the branches of the tree. So winter wonderland-ish :)





















 
After I made a few filled with water, I wondered what it would look like without the water added. From Anthro's photo on their website, I couldn't tell if they had a liquid in the jar or not. I guess it technically wouldn't be a true snow globe without it, but I still wanted to try it. I actually really liked it without water just as much with it! It looks really classy. (liquid-less snow globe pictured below)

These would make awesome Christmas gifts, especially for someone who appreciates handmade presents (and really, who doesn't??) They're my favorite kind of gifts :)

I'll be posting another inexpensive DIY tutorial within the next few days, so stay posted!


35 comments :

  1. I've been working on these snow globes for days now. When I use resin figurines in there the water stays clear and nice but when I use one of those trees like in your pic and or plastic items the water turns cloud. I did different tests and sprayed them with clear coating etc...but water still murky. Any tips?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that is happening to you! I haven't had that problem and I've made a handful of them already. Did you get your trees from Michael's? If not, it could be possible that the ones you have are made differently and are making the water murky :( Also, you are using the white-drying Gorilla Glue, right? Other kinds of glues may also make the water murky.

      Delete
    2. Try rinsing/washing your tree (and letting it dry) before you glue it to the lid.

      Delete
    3. have you checked your water? it could be that your using tap water and not spring water. try spring or purified water.

      Delete
  2. The snowglobes from Anthropologie DO NOT contain water. I was there today admiring them prompting a trip to buy supplies. The snow isnt exactly glitter (but is found by glitter at the craft store). It is clearish white plastic particles resembling glitter but which do not stick to eachother and generally do not stick to anything else creating a neat cascading effect. Eliminating the water may also eliminate the need for gorilla glue but have yet to experiment. Also, if you really want to have water, Martha Stewart Living did snowglobes years ago and instructions are probably available on the site. If I am not mistaken, the water should be distilled with the addition of a few drops of mineral oil so that the snow does not sink immediately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also if using water, regular glitter probably works better than the plastic things. And those little trees have twisted metal stems which may rust and ruin the fun. The ones I looked at today already had rust on some. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Troppo bello il tuo sito, complimenti,Simo Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snow globes look wonderful! I noticed that your liquidless one has glitter accenting the inside of the mason jar. How did you get the glitter to stick on the inside? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually didn't do anything to make it stick. Once I turned the globe right-side up (or gave it a shake), the glitter automatically took to the inside of the glass. :)

      Delete
  6. What did you attach to the bottom if the tree? I thought it was a rock but then I thought rock + glass + shaking = disaster lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nvm I 4got u have to flip it lol I feel dumb

      Delete
  7. Could I use a real tree snipping??? Or would that just totally ruin it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you need those wood chunks on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Those are my coasters, just for decoration :)

      Delete
  9. Do you need those wood chunks on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Is the wood necessary to make it stable? Did you glue it on as the last step?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Nope the wood is not necessary. I just used it for the photo :)

      Delete
  11. How did hot glue hold up for the water-less ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I tried hot glue without the water. Although I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't hold up if you decide to leave out the water :)

      Delete
  12. Hi there I just wondered I made one of these tonight. I added a little figure with the tree but unfortunately the base of the mason jar hides most of it. I wondered what glitter you used as the stuff I had from the craft store seems to just float at the top. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) Thanks for stopping by! I'm not sure of the exact brand of glitter that I used. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore so I'm not able to check. If I remember correctly I purchased it at Michaels, and the color is an opalescent/iridescent color. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

      Delete
  13. Hi Ashley. I am trying to make these this year as my Christmas project gift. I am doing waterless. When I put my tree in and add the faux snow (plasticy from Michaels) and turn it over the glass gets kind of foggy looking. Think I should try different snow or use just glitter? Did you wipe the inside of your jars with anything to keep them clear?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I make snow globes with water I use glycerin in them to keep the glitter floating around for a while instead of falling to the bottom so fast. I also glue figurines and trees to a sliver of hardwood and glue the wood to the mason jar flat so all the figurine is able to be seen. Hope this helps water globe girls but now I make them waterless. God bless you all and yours and a very Merry Christmas too. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mine is leaking water. Did I do something wrong? I followed all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My snow globe looks sooooo cute and just perfect! I used distilled water and added a few drop of baby oil to the water. This has helped keep the water clean and keep the glitter from clumping. I used a Michaels green tree and the glitter that's in the star container. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just made some of these last night (without water) with my toddler for her preschool teachers' Christmas gifts. We used baby food jars and 2 tiny snow-covered trees with a cotton ball for snow at the base. Glued some red and white chevron ribbon around the base and added a bow. SO VERY CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this and now my mind is going 100 miles.... I'm thinking about putting 1/2 a drop of dye in the water, your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ashley!
    Where did you find the wood piece for the base?

    ReplyDelete